Tuesday 25 October 2011

Open letter to Mini Munchkin


To my dearest little Mini Munchkin,

HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY!

I’m just writing this the night before your first birthday while Daddy is trying to make your little ride on fire engine that Big Munchkin has got you for your birthday. It looks fantastic, I hope you love it!

I can’t believe you’re a year old – it feels like yesterday that you were born and yet I can’t remember a time without you. I’ve said the same thing to Big Munchkin, but its true – I was absolutely born to be your mummy!

You were due at the end of September but I was half expecting you to arrive early – Big Munchkin was 10 days early – and strangely we were due at a wedding in West Hampstead (its an area in London) on the day he arrived and we were going to another wedding in West Hampstead 10 days before your due date so I thought it might be a sign of some sort (which as it happened it was).

Sorry to be blunt, but labour was horribly painful (I needed Pethidine by the end – probably an illegal drug by the time you read this…..), not helped by the fact I’d had no sleep (after said wedding Daddy and I had gone to bed at 1am and I went into labour just 4 short hours later), and it went on from 5am on the Sunday until you were born at 3am on the Monday. But then there you were!  This perfect little bundle of you! You were 8lbs 1oz when you born and 57 cm long – obviously every bit perfect. Daddy nearly passed out (he’s never been good with blood and had not slept for nearly 24 hours, but thankfully there was a mattress for him on the floor next to my bed!) but don’t hold that against him J

You were so tiny and pink and beautiful and it was so incredible to cuddle you after 9 months of you living inside me. It was amazing! Daddy left us at 6am to go home and get some sleep, you slept in the cot next to me and I just watched you. We moved down to the ward at about 9am and I think I must have slept for a little bit then until Daddy came back at 11am.

We stayed in hospital the next night because I had Group B Strep and you needed to be monitored for 24 hours, but thankfully you were fine. Daddy, your big brother and Grandma came in to see us and we had lots of lovely quality time on our own too! Big Munchkin loved you from the first moment he saw you and has loved you ever since (much like the rest of us!) and brought you a little card he made with Grandma. You gave him a playmat for his cars, just so you know….

Over the last 12 months you have grown into the most special little boy – you just love life!  You have so much energy and have been described as the smiliest baby ever by every person who has ever come into contact with you!  I literally have not once left the house without someone commenting on how smiley you are (that and how beautiful and long your eyelashes are…..).

You love to play and giggle and laugh, you think your brother is hilarious (he is quite funny!) and will sit with him at the table and giggle incessantly together. You also always want to join in with whatever he is doing. You have always acted above your age and want to do things that your peers are not yet capable of. You are already walking and saying a few words (your first word was “ready” – it just about sums you up – you never sit still!). If we go the playground, you sit on cars for babies 6 months older than you and want to go down the slide on your own or on a seesaw that even Big Munchkin is intimidated by…. You are quite fearless and so adventurous. You play games that are very advanced for your age – currently you like to pretend to sleep – and giggle like anything when one of us joins in. Your laugh is completely infectious and you are amazing to watch!

Thank you for being my son. I love you with all my heart!

All my love,
Mummy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment